Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Smart Mouth...

Has gotten me in trouble AGAIN. Okay, actually, it's just come back to bite me, in the form of my clone's...erm, SON'S smart mouth, which he inherited from me. Lord help me, he repeats all of my common phrases. The other day I asked him to clean his room. He agreed, and so I went about my business. 45 minutes later, he was STILL on the couch, watching PBS Kids! I am all for educational TV, don't get me wrong, but he needs to clean up, already!! So I turned off the TV to a resounding, "HEEEYYYYYYYY!" and said, "I want you to go clean your room, now." To which my eldest son replied, "People in Hell want ice water." I was floored. Flabbergasted. APPALLED. I shouldn't have been. For years I have replied in much the same way when a tantrum throwing child has responded to their demands not being met with, "I WANT (insert unreasonable entreaty here)!!!!!!" So why was I surprised? Truthfully, I was laughing so hard I almost had to pull over the van. I explained later that while that was funny, it wasn't really appropriate to speak to one's parents that way, and that he should keep smart alec remarks to himself. To which he replied, "Well you say it all the time...you should treat people the way you want to be treated." I hate it when my kids are smarter than me...

This week, while my hubby was away on business, my eldest and middle sons were arguing heatedly (READ: LOUDLY) about who said/did what to/about whom while I was driving. I seriously couldn't focus on the road. Between the yelling from one, the wailing and tears from the other, and the youngest adding his two cents by screaming in his high pitched dolphin shriek toddler scream (over and over and over and...), I was about to join in the shout-fest myself! So I said what I'm sure many Mothers would say in this situation, "Will you guys PLEASE HUSH?! You're driving me crazy!!" To which my wonderful mini-me responded,"It's a short drive, Mommy." *sigh* Touche, my boy...touche...I have very often stated that "You drive me crazy J (my eldest son), but it's a short drive, anyhow." My husband, and one of my close friends, both got a kick out of this one. Once again I had to remind him that smart alec remarks should be kept to himself, and he asked me the very honest question, "Mommy, how come when you say it, it's okay, but when I say it, it's smart alec? Doesn't that seem hypocratical??" LOL!!! I love my super smart, funny, silly, mouthy kid!


Psalm 127:3-5

3Children are a gift from the Lord;
they are a reward from him.
4Children born to a young man
are like arrows in a warrior’s hands.
5How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them!...

In His Love,

Clairessa


1 comment:

  1. How funny:-) yet frusttrating on your part I'm sure! Love and prayers ---Mom!

    ReplyDelete